31 May 2012

Road (Re-)Construction Blues

The longer I'm an American, the more I'm convinced of the centrality of a certain, perhaps unduly neglected, feature of our modern work ethic. Modern, I mean, as distinct from our American work ethic of 60 years ago. Or 40 years ago. Or even as recently - if I dare nitpick further holes in the reputation of our once-vaunted New Economy - as 20 years ago.

As usual I'm not exactly sure what's going on here. But I get the feeling that, were this particular feature ever to be accurately enshrined in a tenet, precept or injunction, it might go something like this:

"Remember: Speed isn't just an important thing - it's EVERYTHING. And doubly so when it comes to those bonuses that are the rightful reward of jobs completed well in advance of deadline. In short, it really doesn't matter all that much how often a job gets done over, so long as you do it really, really, really, really fast the first time. Or the second. Or the third. Or . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment